How Often to Expect Hairline Tattoo Touch-Ups
One of the reasons scalp micropigmentation (SMP) is revolutionizing the hair-replacement industry is because the effects are long-lasting. SMP, also known as a hairline tattoo, is considered permanent. Though it is referred to as a “tattoo,” scalp micropigmentation uses a different tool and a different type of pigment than traditional tattooing. However, like a traditional tattoo, the pigment can fade with time if left alone. A simple touch-up appointment every 4-6 years is all that is necessary to ensure your hairline tattoo looks great.
What Causes a Hairline Tattoo to Fade?
The pigment used by Scalp Micro USA artists, called Folicule, is meant to match the color of closely-shaved hair growing out of the follicle. The goal of SMP is to simulate the natural look of a shaved head. To achieve this goal, we use a high-quality, all-natural black pigment that is diluted to color-match for each client.
Variants that affect the rate of fading include:
- Exposure to UV rays and sunlight
- Lifestyle and grooming habits
- Skin type
- Natural immune system
Another crucial factor that affects possible fading is the quality of work. That’s why it is vital to have your SMP treatments done by a well-trained, experienced scalp micropigmentation practitioner like those at Scalp Micro USA.
Even though scalp micropigmentation is considered a permanent solution to hair loss, some fading is natural and should be expected. Consider that traditional tattoo ink—which is much darker and placed deeper into the skin than SMP pigment—also fades with time.
How Often Should I Have My Hairline Tattoo Touched Up?
Almost every SMP client will need a touch-up at some point in the future, but the exact time is difficult to predict. As a general guideline, we recommend a touch-up every four to six years. However, if your hairline tattoo is still looking great after six years, then no need to come in! Touch-ups aren’t a requirement. As long as you are happy with your look, that’s all that matters.
When touch-ups are necessary, you can expect the results to last another four to six years. Touch-ups can usually be completed in one session and require the same after-care as your initial treatment.
Extend the Life of Your Scalp Tattoo
Men love the easy care of having a scalp tattoo. You still need to wash your scalp and keep your natural hair closely shorn, but other than that, no fussing or applying hair-care products is required. However, there are steps you can take to help keep your hairline tattoo looking fresh for a longer time.
1. Follow all after-care recommendations after the initial treatment. This includes:
- No intense exercise or heavy sweating during the course of treatments or for five days after the final treatment
- No swimming during the course of treatments or for at least five days after the last treatment
- Do not use Propecia or other topical hair-growth products during the course of treatment or for 30 days after the final treatment. This will allow time for complete healing without the interference of chemicals
- Do not shampoo, scrub, or shave your scalp for at least four to five days after a scalp micropigmentation treatment
2. Protect your scalp with sunscreen. You may have spent too many years hiding your receding hairline under a hat, so we understand if you’re ready to throw all your hats away after seeing how great your new hairline tattoo looks. However, don’t forget to protect your head! Using sunscreen not only protects your SMP from fading but also protects you from skin cancer.
3. Use a gentle shampoo for scalp cleansing.
Living with Your Hairline Tattoo
Warning, scalp micropigmentation can cause a sudden increase in self-confidence. You may feel compelled to once again participate in hobbies you love, be the life of the party, and generally enjoy life to the fullest. Don’t worry; none of these activities will cause your SMP treatment to fade.
In other words, leave your hairline worries behind. Yes, take sensible precautions, like wearing sunscreen, and maintain normal grooming habits, but other than that, don’t worry about your scalp tattoo fading. When it does, touch-ups are an easy fix. Just think of all the time and money you’ll save on haircuts and hair-growth products over the next four to six years. Those savings will more than makeup for an additional SMP treatment every five years or so.
For more questions and concerns about caring for your hairline tattoo, contact Scalp Micro USA. You can speak with one of our highly qualified practitioners and schedule a free consultation. We have locations in New York, Los Angeles, Houston and Austin, TX, Chicago, Fort Lauderdale, and South Florida.
Tired of hair loss?
Get the perfect hairline, 100% guaranteed, with our scalp
micropigmentation treatment that is customized just for you. No more
crazy combovers. No more ineffective medications. Just results.