Scalp Micropigmentation Aftercare
You’ve finally gotten the treatment you’ve been waiting for. You’ve finished your scalp micropigmentation (SMP) session and are happy with the results so far. But, what about scalp micropigmentation aftercare?
Scalp micropigmentation involves using tiny microneedles to deposit pigment into the shallow skin layers of the scalp. During the healing process, new skin layers will grow over where the pigment was placed. Once the scalp is completely healed, you’ll be left with scalp micropigmentation that looks natural and undetectable.
After your treatment session, it’s important that you’re following a routine for scalp micropigmentation aftercare.
Aftercare tips in the days following your session
In general, you’ll want to treat your scalp like an open wound after SMP treatment. Meaning, avoid getting it wet and keep it clean. No chlorinated pools, saunas, steam rooms, or tanning beds for 28 days after your final treatment. This will ensure a good, long-lasting result.
Day 0 to Day 5
For the first 5 days following treatment, you should avoid the following:
- Sweating heavily – Try not to engage in any intense exercise for 5 days following treatment. Excessive sweating could interrupt the healing process
- Scrubbing and shampooing – Scrubbing the scalp can break the skin and open wounds, and shampooing could introduce harsh chemicals.
- Shaving – Avoid shaving and irritating the area while it’s healing.
- Exposure to long-term sunlight – UV rays from the sun can cause sunburn and sun damage. This could lead to premature fading of the scalp pigmentation.
- Touching with hands – Refrain from touching your scalp with your hands too much. You could introduce bacteria and increase the risk of infection.
During the first 5 days, make sure you’re drinking plenty of water and taking any medication as prescribed. You can lightly rinse the scalp while it’s healing and dab the area with a wet cloth to keep it clean. Do not soak the scalp. You may also wear a hat or skullcap and sleep any way that’s comfortable for you.
Day 5 to Day 10
For days 5 to 10, your head should be looking much better and healing nicely. However, it is still healing. You’ll want to make sure you’re still keeping up with an aftercare routine. For the next 5 days, you should still avoid the following:
- Scratching the scalp – As with tattoos, the skin on your scalp may begin to peel during these next few days. It’s important that you avoid scratching or picking any scabs that may form.
- Shampooing or exfoliating – Shampoo and exfoliants can disrupt the formation of new skin layers during healing.
- Using self tanners or skin irritants – While your scalp is healing, avoid irritants that could cause inflammation and disturb the healing process.
What you can do is carefully shave or cut your hair if needed. You should also continue rinsing lightly with water and soap to clean the area. Applying a moisturizer will also help the healing stage during this time. Just make sure it’s fragrance free. You can also resume working out with light exercise.
Day 10 and onward
After 10 days, your scalp should be healed enough to return to your normal routine. You may be scheduled for your next treatment session after 10 days. However, your next treatment date will depend on how it has healed so far. Before your next follow-up session, you’ll be requested to wash your head and cut your hair.
Feel free to contact your scalp micropigmentation specialist if you have any questions during healing. At Scalp Micro USA, technicians are trained in proper healing recommendations so you end up with a style you’ll love.
Tired of hair loss?
Get the perfect hairline, 100% guaranteed, with our scalp
micropigmentation treatment that is customized just for you. No more
crazy combovers. No more ineffective medications. Just results.